The HxS (MSHelp2) help format: Is it dead or still alive?

Coordinator
Nov 15, 2010 at 1:47 PM

DocMounter v2.0 produces only HxS files in the MSHelp2 format, but it's possible to convert them easily into the newest VS2010-comaptible MSHC (or so called MS Help Viewer 1.0) format using some 3rd-party tools. For instance, we do that for our .NET components successfully using MSHC Migrate Utility.

We wanted to know, is it time to start working on DocMounter v3 which will also produce MSHC help contents? And maybe abandon the support of HxS at all? Can you tell us whether the ability to build HxS help is principal for you?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM

The fact that it only builds HxS help is actually a reason for me not to use this tool yet. I downloaded it and tried it out, but I don't want to get the VS 2008 SDK to get both of the HxS help file tools just so I can build using them, and then convert them back to something else anyway. The VS 2010 SDK doesn't even include the tools to build HxS files, so it seems the format is either dying or getting slowly forced out of the picture.

I do not fully understand (I'm new to this)--it was my impression that DocMounter used Sandcastle to generate the documentation, so shouldn't it be relatively simple to change the output to MSHC or some other formats?

Coordinator
Dec 2, 2010 at 8:59 AM

It is "relatively" easy to produce MSHC output from DocMounter as we are using Sandcastle inside, but sure it will require a considerable amount of work to do that.

The question is "Do we REALLY need to build the docu for our products in the MSHC format?" It seems the whole community is still using the HxS format :)

Do You personally need that for your real-world projects?